This Code of Conduct guides the operations all AMFIU-members. It was developed and approved by the Association’s members in 2012:
- Work actively towards building sustainable institutions by applying Best Practices and constantly monitor the performance of their businesses and strive for ways of improving efficiency and better delivery of services.
- Conduct them selves in a manner consistent with the highest degree of professionalism, and respect fellow-members of the Association.
- Responsibly manage funds at their disposal.
- Institutions shall at times be cognizant of their responsibilities as competent organizations towards the wider community. They shall follow the guidance of this Code of Conduct and in circumstances not provided for, will conduct themselves in a manner consistent with the good reputation of the Association.
- Re-assess the needs of the sector on a regular basis to ensure that needs are being met in the most efficient and relevant way.
- Abide by the guidelines set down by the regulatory body (BoU) where these guidelines are applicable to their organization's activities.
- Institutions shall refrain from conduct or action that detracts from the reputation of the Association.
- Institutions are required to exercise integrity, honesty, diligence and due care in carrying out their duties and responsibilities. They shall conduct themselves with courtesy and consideration towards all with whom they come into contact in the course of execution of their work.
- Institutions shall at all times safeguard the interests of their employees, colleagues and clients, provided that they shall not knowingly be a party to any illegal or unethical behavior.
- Submit their institutions’ financial accounts for annual external audit, in the interest of responsibility and transparency.
- Personal relationships can affect objectivity. There is a particular need, therefore, for an institution to ensure that its objective approach to any assignment is not endangered as a consequence of any personal relationship. Such problems can also exist in cases of close friendship or relationship by blood or marriage or where work is being done for a company dominated by one individual.
- Meet the needs of their clients in an efficient and prompt manner.
- Clients have an indisputable right to choose their source of finance and financial services and to change to others should they so desire.
- Institutions are strictly accountable for all clients’ moneys received in the course of the execution of their duties.
- Build public awareness and trust of the sector, by encouraging the sector to meet the highest standards of quality.
- Educate the public and their clients about the needs, strengths and responsibilities of the microfinance sector.
Criteria for Leadership in AMFIU
To become a leader of the Association (i.e. a member of AMFIU’s Board of Directors), the following attributes should be taken cognizance of:
- The institution from which the prospective leader emanates should have a Board of Directors, as well as audited financial statements both externally and internally at regular intervals.
- Must be willing to attend Board meetings and should step down if absent from three consecutive meetings without sending apologies.
- Must represent a legally registered Micro Finance Institution, engaged in ‘best practices’ method of operation.
- Adherence to the provisions of AMFIU’s constitution.
- No criminal record against one’s name, be a person of honesty and impeccable integrity.